Author Topic: Harvey the Hurricane Hawk  (Read 395 times)

Offline ElectricWhite

• Science Ninja
  • Fennec Wrangler
Harvey the Hurricane Hawk
« on: August 30, 2017, 16:07:23 CDT »
I'm amazed how this hawk seemed to know what humans to go to!

I'm only half evil.

Offline GrumpyGhostOwl

• Animal Behaviour Ninja
Re: Harvey the Hurricane Hawk
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 20:21:55 CDT »
It's great that the finder was able to get the bird to a rehabber. Let's hope the poor little thing makes a full recovery and can fly free once his health - and his habitat - are restored.

Remember that animals suffer in natural disasters, too. Wildlife rescuers are going to (sometimes literally) be inundated and will need all the help they can get. Having said that, be very wary of scams and fake appeals. It's sad, but it's important to check the credentials of anyone who asks you for money. Times of crisis bring out the best and the worst in humanity, I'm sorry to say.

After Katrina, the International Fund for Animal Welfare was active in New Orleans rescuing animals and reuniting pets with their owners. I hope they'll be on the ground in the aftermath of Harvey as well. You can find them at ifaw.org. 

To find a wildlife centre just about anywhere in the US you can Google the National Wildlife Rehabilitation Council and access their directory service. I'm sure the good people at the NWRC are going to be really busy supporting the rehabbers affected by Hurricane Harvey for the next several months and they'll appreciate any help you can offer both now and during the recovery phase.

You don't have to be a trained animal health professional to help out. Cleaning, maintenance, repairs and transport services are vital work and they free up the people who are trained in animal care to do the caring. Sometimes it's really nice just to have someone willing to make a cup of tea and do the dishes when a team of exhausted volunteers comes off shift. No contribution is too small. Old clean towels and linen are always in demand as well. Don't throw it away - there will be someone who can use it! I've lost count of the number of old sheets and pillowcases that I've cut up and sewn into covers and blinds for hospital and transport boxes and even cloth restraints for safe handling of dangerous animals. I also use old sheets cut up into rectangles for shrouds.
Never trust an atom.
They make up everything.