Author Topic: Extremes of Weather  (Read 927 times)

Offline GrumpyGhostOwl

• Animal Behaviour Ninja
Extremes of Weather
« on: January 14, 2018, 19:26:35 CST »
So, parts of North America were hit with a "bomb cyclone" which sounds nasty. At the same time, eastern Australia was hit with a heatwave, which was also nasty.

Yesterday, Summer glanced at the south west of Western Australia and said, "Oh, I haven't made you guys miserable, yet!" and we had a very nasty day. The temperature sensor on the wall of my house said we had an outside temperature of 45 degrees Centigrade in the early afternoon. I'd put out water for the animals, put cold packs in all the roost boxes and hosed the aviaries down. As the sun dipped below the treeline and the temperature started to ease off around 1700, I emptied the bird bath and filled it with fresh, clean, cold water. Jarrah the Western Grey Kangaroo wasn't interested in drinking, however. He just wanted his roo muesli (it's like granola, specially formulated for Kangaroos). He'd probably been next door, hanging out in the shade by the dam.

This morning, however, Jarrah's thirst must have caught up with him, because I could hear something slurping away outside the window of my home office, so I looked outside and there was Jarrah, guzzling water like it was going out of fashion. He'd had at least half a litre out of the birdbath so I topped it up again and he kept right on drinking. Jane Doe, Little Joey and Tiny Joey have come up for a drink as well, now, but they're a lot more wild than Jarrah so I'm not going to approach them with the camera.

Never trust an atom.
They make up everything.

Offline ElectricWhite

• Science Ninja
  • Fennec Wrangler
Re: Extremes of Weather
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 06:18:17 CST »
The temperature sensor on the wall of my house said we had an outside temperature of 45 degrees Centigrade in the early afternoon.

Ouch! (For Americans -- that's 113 degrees Fahrenheit!) It's a shame we can't find a way to put the two extremes together and have a happy medium!
I'm only half evil.

Offline cwwriter

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 14:23:14 CST »
Ouch, I went to Spain in August once and it hit 40C. I fear to imagine 45C!

You share the best pics. :) Glad your critters are hanging in there. I'm sure this isn't the first time it's gotten that hot in SW Australia!

Offline Ebonyswanne

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 18:20:26 CST »
It was up to 52c in Richmond NSW. ( its westrn Sydney outskirts.) But they tend to record Penrith more in the news. As it is... its going to get hotter in the week. But yesterday was icy overnight and they got snow in ACT. Freaky!! Its mid summer.
Cooler in Sydney today.
We had discovered an act of animal cruelty with our neighbor. My DH was up on the roof doing work yesterday and saw the two dogs next door in bad shape. He took photos of them. Starving to death. A once beautiful German shepard and a staffy cross. They had been quiet for weeks now we know why. Have reported it to the RSPCA. We're angry over it. If you can't look after an animal dont have them ever. Reported anonymous cause you don't need revenge tactics from them. I hope they get charged.
With another round of extremely hot days coming I hope animal wealth fare come soon.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 18:31:18 CST by Ebonyswanne »
Learn  the rules like a pro, and break them like an artist- Picasso

Offline GrumpyGhostOwl

• Animal Behaviour Ninja
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 19:56:54 CST »
I hope the RSPCA can take the animals into care and rehome them.

I find it difficult to understand the neglect of animals, unless it's a health issue, and even then I have to take a few deep breaths and count to a sufficiently high number. You hear stories of people going away on holidays and abandoning their animals, or moving and abandoning their animals, or just neglecting them. That and active cruelty are things that make my knuckles itch.

It's hissing down with rain here as the last remains of ex-tropical cyclone Joyce pass over the south west corner. At least today I don't have to go around putting cool packs in the birds' roost boxes and hosing down all the enclosures, or bring the education birds inside in airline kennels. I've got to get someone in to help me put up some shade sails that I bought to help keep the aviaries cooler in hot weather. (Yes, the birds get the shade sails.) Ensuring that animals are okay in hot weather doesn't take all that much effort. If you're physically and mentally able to do it, there really aren't any excuses.

My H2H rescue puppy is booked on her flight from Port Macquarie to arrive in Perth on Monday, so I'm gearing up and looking forward to welcoming Skye to her new home. She will have travelled over 4,000 km to get here, so I hope she likes it! By all accounts she is a well-bred, happy and healthy pup, but I've booked a routine vet check for her anyway.

Having seen what the weather is like in the eastern states, I suspect she'll find the milder climate down here a bit easier to deal with. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in an oasis compared to the rest of the country.

Never trust an atom.
They make up everything.

Offline GrumpyGhostOwl

• Animal Behaviour Ninja
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 20:08:51 CST »
From one extreme to the other: after posting, I checked the rain gauge and saw that it was up to 10mm, so I thought I'd see if the gutters had flushed so I could close the bypass and collect some rainwater for the house tank.

I got out there to find that the bypass channel had flooded and that the pump was in danger of being inundated! The bypass channel was so flooded, I had to go back into the house and get my gumboots on! The water coming through the bypass was sweet, so I put the caps back on and checked the drainage channels. The driveway looks like a river delta and I had to leave my wet weather gear on the verandah to finish dripping.

This is the third year in a row we've had the remains of a tropical cyclone come over and dump rain on us. The last two years, the river flooded. I don't know if that will happen again since they aren't getting this lot upstream, but it will be interesting to see if any more tropical rain-bearing depressions turn up this season.

At least I don't have to worry about getting any calls for fires!
Never trust an atom.
They make up everything.

Offline cwwriter

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 14:53:13 CST »
It was up to 52c in Richmond NSW. ]

52C? *faints*

We had discovered an act of animal cruelty with our neighbor. My DH was up on the roof doing work yesterday and saw the two dogs next door in bad shape. He took photos of them. Starving to death. A once beautiful German shepard and a staffy cross. They had been quiet for weeks now we know why. Have reported it to the RSPCA. We're angry over it. If you can't look after an animal dont have them ever. Reported anonymous cause you don't need revenge tactics from them. I hope they get charged.
With another round of extremely hot days coming I hope animal wealth fare come soon.

Oh no. :( I hope they act fast, too. :(

Offline Ebonyswanne

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:44:00 CST »
We're keeping an eye on the animal situation. We usually don't look into other peoples yards. It was by accident DH saw it since he was on the roof. But these neighbours have been trouble at times. I have spoken to them about various things from time to time, and they are known to the local police. But when it comes to pets and severe neglect, I do act on it. >:( First time I've had to contact the RSPCA. DH called them to be sure of it.

Offline ElectricWhite

• Science Ninja
  • Fennec Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 08:10:25 CST »
You're a real life, honest to goodness hero, Swannie!
I'm only half evil.

Offline Adriana

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 09:16:19 CST »
Hola,

I hope this extreme weather is finally coming to an end. Even here in Malaysia we are having some unusual temperatures. Maybe you may laugh if I said we had some cold weather last week at 22 degrees, but take in count that the lowest is normally 24 degrees and those 2 degrees in difference is affecting people. Many were sick and there were viruses running around.

For those of you in the mother hemisphere, please cover well and protect yourselves. And for those in the south, keep away from the sun.

Have a nice day/ evening everyone!

Offline GrumpyGhostOwl

• Animal Behaviour Ninja
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 19:21:42 CST »
After a couple of hot days (with me running around putting cool packs in the birds' roost boxes, hosing aviaries and putting ice in the animals' drinking water) things have settled down again over here. We had some very humid weather as ex-tropical cyclone Joyce dumped about 40mm of rain on us, but the coming week looks like being quite reasonable, with daytime maxima from 28C/80F through to 30C/88F.

Good temps for welcoming the new puppy home.

Ebony, did the RSPCA or the Rangers turn up to do anything about the dogs? RSPCA NSW was on the telly on ABC News24 last night talking about dogs left in cars, which made me think of you and your situation.
Never trust an atom.
They make up everything.

Offline Ebonyswanne

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 21:23:25 CST »
I've been in and out of the house foing school holidays activities. Today its hot and I've not heard the dogs moving. I hope that means the RSPCA have been. DH said he'd call them as a follow up. We submitted photos and a video of one. Its housing commission next door.

The only one left in the street. She used to be the street character but its gone beyond that now. She's an addict and neglected animals are often the case too.
I could write a trilogy of novels being their neighbors for the last 15 years. I talk to them so I can keep tabs because of her kids. Mine aren't allowed to go near the house.

I'm a manditory repoter because of my career path. Can be tough who likes to report people but I don't accept abuse -- Ever!
Seriously Galactor would find a target rich environment of new recruits in that house.

Offline cwwriter

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 02:12:06 CST »
:(

Offline Madilayn

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 18:57:49 CST »
For once Brisbane (and Queensland for that matter) has had no "weather" to speak of (other than usual stinking hot humid summer)

Nobody up here believes that will last.  There are still 2 months of cyclone season to go.

Offline GrumpyGhostOwl

• Animal Behaviour Ninja
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 17:04:08 CST »
Ugh. It was like Singapore on the Blackwood down here yesterday. Oh, the humidity! Still, the temps are hovering around 30 degrees Celsius so it's not all that bad. It's just sticky.

Off to the city today to collect a very well-travelled Skye from the Qantas Freight Terminal. Poor little pup will probably be a gibbering wreck after travelling the breadth of the continent, and then we'll still have a four-hour drive to get home after she recovers from the flight. At least the weather is relatively mild for her journey. I have to remember to pack lots of puppy training pads!
Never trust an atom.
They make up everything.